Your favorite breakfast item adds a new flavor to the dinner table.
You may think of a waffle as a sidekick to your bacon and eggs, but in the Chick-fil-A Test Kitchen, Chef Angela Wadlington is thinking outside of the (breakfast) box. She’s paired our Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup with a cheesy, savory waffle with, bringing the waffle from breakfast standard to dinnertime star.
- 16 oz. bowl of Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cornbread Waffle Batter
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup butter, melted
1 4oz. can diced green chilies
1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely chopped
¼ cup chives, finely chopped
Chive and Lime Sour Cream
8 oz. container sour cream
3 tablespoon chives
1 tablespoon lime juice
Shredded cheese of choice (Wadlington suggests sharp cheddar)
Green onions, chopped
Cilantro, finely, chopped
- Heat waffle iron and grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, cheddar cheese, melted butter, green chilies, jalapeno and chives.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add approximately 1 cup of cornbread batter to your waffle maker and slightly spread across the surface. Close and cook until golden brown. (The time required depends on your waffle maker, but about 10 minutes is a good place to start.)
- Pair waffle with Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup, topped with shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro and Chive and Lime Sour Cream.
- For a savory and sweet spin on breakfast, make the waffles as described above and top them with a Chick-fil-A Original or Spicy Chicken filet. Then, drizzle honey or maple syrup on top.
- If your family is on the more adventurous side, make the waffles in the recipe above and top them with an over-easy egg, Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup, green onions, Chive and Lime Sour Cream and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce on the side.