Alabama, Duke get the college football season underway in Atlanta
College football is back, and the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta will once again host two of the sport’s top teams. Fresh off another appearance in the National Championship Game, the defending SEC champion Alabama Crimson Tide, ranked No. 2 in the country, will take on the Duke Blue Devils at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Fans of both teams are no stranger to Chick-fil-A, with several restaurants open in the universities’ respective states. Here are some fun facts from each state:
- The state of North Carolina has 175 Chick-fil-A restaurants, including 11 in Durham.
- The first-ever two-story Chick-fil-A is located in the famed Research Triangle area.
- There are 89 Chick-fil-A restaurants in the state of Alabama.
- The University of Alabama has two Chick-fil-A restaurants on its campus (and the team’s legendary coach has been spotted at one of them!).
The tangle between the teams will be intense, so Chick-fil-A Team Members will be working to help keep the passionate fans fueled throughout the game. Each year:
- Hundreds of Team Members serve up Chick-fil-A’s signature hospitality to fans during the game
- Fans are served thousands of Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwiches
- The annual Cow Drop “air mails” thousands of plush cows from the roof to fans below
The season gets underway with the 2019 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game on Aug. 31 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Whether you’re pulling for the Blue Devils or hollering “Roll Tide!” from your couch, be sure to tune in to ABC at 3:30 p.m. to catch all the action!